Saturday 5 October 2019

Foreword

Once upon a time, long, long ago, a twelve year old got his hands on three little books entitled Dungeons & Dragons; this moment was the start of an on-again, off-again relationship with the strange world of Role Playing Games.
Back in the 1970s and early 1980s, the games were played with like-minded (nerdy) friends; nowadays they're all played solo but the sense of fun is still the same. Like my tabletop Wargaming, for me RPGs are all about a creative outlet (for the madness within) and about telling myself stories, which I've done for as long as I can remember.

This blog is intended to be a record of the stories that emerge from the games, with perhaps the odd bit on the technicalities of the RPGs themselves (or perhaps not).

A note on influences. The original Gygax/Arneson works have obviously been a major influence. Tunnels and Trolls (by Ken St Andre et al) was probably my most played RPG in the early 80s as it had more of a sense of humour (by then D&D had got terribly big and serious - a bit like Games Workshop!) and lots of Solo adventures. In terms of Fantasy literature, Fritz Lieber is my go to author and my creations do tend towards his World of Nehwon. Terry Pratchett's works are also a big favourite.
Borrowed from D&D Volume 3 (1974)


No comments:

Post a Comment